Shelly D Vopat has served as the Ellsworth County Clerk since 2015.
Deputy Clerk: Julie Neuman
Fax # 785-472-3818
210 N Kansas Ave, Suite 6
Ellsworth, KS 67439
Hours: 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday through Friday
Like us on Facebook!!
Term: The County Clerk is elected in November of the Presidential Election years for a term of four years. There are no term limits for this position.
The County Clerk is responsible for a wide range of duties as specified by State Statues.
- Serves as Secretary to the Board of County Commissioners; attends Commissioner meetings; prepares and posts agendas and keeps the minutes; maintains proceedings of Commissioner's meeting, including contracts and agreements entered into by county;
- Records all deeds and transfer and maintains the County Tax rolls;
- Maintains and balances
- Assists in the preparation of Township, Fire Districts and Cemetery Budgets. Receives and compiles all budgets submitted by County entities, the school district; presents budget to County Commissioners for consideration and revisions;
- Maintains separate, detailed bookkeeping for auditor's records;
- Compiles, calculates prepares tax levies;
- Prepares real estate, personal property and state assessed tax roll and certifies to County Treasurer;
- Accumulates and files a bonded indebtedness report for all taxing entities in the county;
- Carries out all elections and certifies to the Secretary of State; maintain voter database; accepts filings for public office;
- Provides Accounts Payable and Payroll functions for all county departments and receives all claims filed against the county;
- Administers the County employee benefits programs, including health insurance and retirement plans;
- Maintains personnel records, job descriptions and the County Policy;
- Retrieves and balances Motor Vehicle Tax then interfaces distribution to County Treasurer;
- Serves as County Freedom of Information Officer;
- Maintains inventories and long range plans;
- Provides assistance to county residents in preparing Homestead Tax Refund Application for the Kansas Department of Revenue;
- Issues Cereal Malt Beverage Licenses to establishments in the county;
- Issues Kansas Wildlife and Park permits and submits monthly and annual reports