Noxious Weed & Landfill

Noxious Weed & Landfill


Ellsworth County Construction & Demolition Landfill


The Ellsworth County C & D Landfill is located at 1415 Ave I outside Ellsworth.
The hours are Monday-Wednesday and Friday 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM and 1:00 to 5:00 PM.
Saturday 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. Closed Thursdays and Sundays.


Please see the Price List on this website for landfill prices.


 Yard waste, limbs, and used oil are all taken FREE OF CHARGE at the landfill.


The Ellsworth County Landfill does not accept household hazardous waste.
Ellsworth County residents can dispose of their household waste (HHW)
at the Salina Hazardous Waste Facility, located at 315 E. Elm St. in Salina.
You can drop off a maximum of 5 gal.
per week and the waste must be from individuals, no businesses.

Hours: Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. And the 1st. Saturday of the month from 8:00 a.m. to noon.

Phone: (785) 309-5750

(This website is very helpful when determining if a product is considered
hazardous waste or not).

Residents of the cities of Kanopolis, Holyrood and Wilson can only dispose of their HHW at the Barton County Landfill located at: NE 30 Rd
in Great Bend. Please call them for more information.

Hours: M-F 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. And, Sat. 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Phone: (620) 793-1898

Another helpful website is:


There is an easy way to enrich your soil and make your vegetable and flower gardens grow. Compost.

Compost is decomposing organic materials such as leaves, grass clippings, and fruit and vegetable scraps.

Minerals found in compost are valuable plant nutrients that will help enrich the soil and promote your plant growth.

If you would like to make your own compost it could save you time and money. No more trips to the landfill with
leaves and grass clippings and it is much cheaper than buying chemical fertilizers.

Items that make good compost:

  • Grass clippings
  • Leaves
  • Flowers and weeds (avoid weeds that spread by runners, like bindweed or Bermuda grass)
  • Old plants and potting soil
  • Twigs, wood scraps, and sawdust
  • Vegetable and fruit scraps (bury deep in the pile to deter animals)
  • Bread and grains
  • Coffee filters, coffee grounds, and used tea bags
  • Eggshells and nuts

Items that DO NOT make good compost:

  • Meat, fish and dairy products
  • Cooking oil or oily food scraps
  • Insect-infested plants
  • Pet feces
  • Large tree branches
  • Pressure treated, painted or preserved lumber

Compost can also be used for mulch. It will reduce water, reduce weeds, and keep the soil at the proper temperature.

If your compost starts to smell bad, turn it over.

Click on the link below for more information about composting.

If you are interested in a more environmentally friendly approach to gardening, but
you don’t want to make your own compost, just bring a bucket out to the landfill and
pick up some compost from our compost pile.


If you have any questions, please direct them to either the Landfill at 785-472-4794 or
the Noxious Weed Department at 785-472-3132.

Noxious Weed


The Noxious Weed Department is located at 501 W. 13th St. in Ellsworth Kansas


Director - Teresa Shute
Secretary - Kayla Gourley
Helper - Daron Stevenson
Helper - Julie Maddox

Phone #: (785)-472-3132
Fax #: (785)-472-3008


Chemicals are being sold for control of noxious weeds to the general public.

Online access to chemical labels can be found at:

This site is very easy to navigate, just enter the chemical name in the search box and click SEARCH. You click on Label, and you can view all of the safety information, the rates at
which to use the chemical, and any restrictions for grazing and slaughter animals. This is a large database that includes many chemicals.

Private and Commercial Pesticide Applicators

Kansas Law requires that applicators of Restricted Use Pesticides keep proper records of
the chemicals being used, the chemical EPA #, location where chemical is being applied and
weather conditions.

Recordkeeping forms can be picked up in our office or found online at:



Our office also provides Weed Identification.

Just bring in a live specimen and we will do our best to identify it for you.

KSU Research and Extension has a terrific website for viewing the following:

  • Weeds of Kansas
  • Aquatic Weeds
  • Kansas Noxious Weeds
  • Kansas Wildflowers & Grasses



The Noxious Weed Dept. sprays 240 miles of county roads every year for noxious weeds.

Townships may contact us to spray their roads for the price of the chemicals used and labor for the truck. Please call: 785-472-3132 for further information.



© 2017 Ellsworth County, KS 210 N Kansas Ave Ellsworth KS 67439

Powered By Revize Login